A village possessed a hunting ground of its own or several villages used a joint hunting territory (iwor).
At the time, this area was a dense forestland, used only as a hunting ground.
For decades after those wars, the land around eastern Lake Erie was claimed and utilized by the Iroquois as a hunting ground.
In the 1670s during the Beaver Wars, the powerful Iroquois, five allied nations based in present-day New York and Pennsylvania, drove out other American Indian tribes from the region in order to reserve the upper Ohio Valley as a hunting ground.
From ancient times the area of Wolfville was a hunting ground for many First Nations peoples, including the Clovis, Laurentian, Bear River, and Shields Archaic groups.
The American Indians used this territory as a hunting ground by right of conquest;
Instead, the region served as a hunting ground.
After the annexation, Herm gradually lost its monastic inhabitants, and between 1570 and 1737 the governors of Guernsey used it as a hunting ground;
This area was reserved by the nations of the Iroquois Confederacy as a hunting ground, by right of their conquest of tribes that had been in the area.
Prior to the arrival of European-American settlers around 1740, Greenbrier County, like most of West Virginia, was used as a hunting ground by the Shawnee and Cherokee nations.
Instead, they used it as a hunting ground during the spring and summer months.
The Eastern Panhandle region was also used as a hunting ground by several other Indian tribes, including the Shawnee (then known as the Shawanese) who resided near present-day Winchester, Virginia and Moorefield, West Virginia until 1754 when they migrated into Ohio.
The Mingo, who resided in the Tygart Valley and along the Ohio River in present-day West Virginia's Northern Panhandle region, and the Delaware, who lived in present-day eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, but had several autonomous settlements as far south as present-day Braxton County, also used the area as a hunting ground.
The Iroquois controlled the valley as a hunting ground.
Through much of the early 1780s, the settlers also faced a hostile response from the Native American tribes, such as the Cherokee, Muscogee (Creek), and Shawnee who while not living in the area used is as a hunting ground and resented the newcomers moving into there and competing for its resources.
The area that includes Union County was once controlled by the Cherokee Indians and they used it as a hunting ground.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, the area now occupied by Noble County was used as a hunting ground by the Osage Indians.
Historically, the area was a hunting ground for the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes.
South Carolina's Black Mingo Creek was named after a colonial Chickasaw chief, who controlled the lands around it as a hunting ground.
Native Americans were their descendants, including the Shawnee people, who probably considered this region part of their homeland and certainly valued it as a hunting ground.